We’re in the water enhancer business, and we love it. It’s because we recognize that water is one of the most important substances on our planet. 70% of our bodies are made up of H2O, we need it to irrigate crops, and there’s nothing better than an ice-cold glass of water on a blazingly hot day.
On the one hand, we all know that water is critically important, and without it, we won’t last long. So why is it that so many of us don’t drink enough water? Well, we get busy with work, life, the day to day slog. But if you can step up your water game, you’ll start to lose weight, your skin will tighten up, and you’ll look and feel better in general. So read on, and we’ll share some easy tips to help you hydrate.
- Wherever you happen to be, make sure you’ve got a water bottle with you. Whether you’re at work, running errands, or out with friends, think of your water bottle as an accessory that’s as indispensable as your smartphone. You can look around and find one that suits you, just stick with a container made from either stainless steel or glass, since they won’t slowly leech chemicals into the water like plastic will.
- Regular exercise is good, but regular exercise while properly hydrated is better. When you’re dehydrated, your energy levels will plummet, along with motivation, so weightlifting or cardio becomes far more difficult than it usually is. Your joints and muscles need fluids to be at their best, so make sure to drink water before, during, and after your workout.
- During the day, you probably drink several ounces of liquids, but water isn’t always one of them. You might start off the day with a tall latte, or have a soda with lunch. While we’re not suggesting completely phasing those out, try replacing them with water a few times a week. As time goes on, it gets easier and easier to ease into a healthy habit.
- Most of us know that feeling mid-morning or mid-afternoon, where we just want a little something to snack on. If you feel that, immediately drink some water. Frequently, your body can misread dehydration as hunger, and sent you the wrong signal. After you drink, the hunger cravings should go away in 10-15 minutes. If not, munch on some nuts or fruit. To really hit your water quota, snack on fruits high in liquids like berries, cucumbers, and melon.
- When you see a drinking fountain, take a moment to rehydrate. A good rule of thumb is to drink to a count of 10.
- Before meals, drink a glass or two of water. The Virginia Tech Department of Nutrition performed a study which found that people who drink 2 glasses of water right before a meal had a significant increase in weight loss. The water partially fills you up, and you’ll be motivated to eat less.
- They say variety is the spice of life. You don’t have to always drink your water from your bottle. You can get it by drinking tea, have a sparkling mineral water, or add a flavor enhancer.